Create equitable delivery of comprehensive and effective mental health and suicide prevention services for Black Americans, Latinx Americans, American Indians, Alaskan Natives, LGBTQ Americans, and others disproportionately impacted by COVID-19.
In order to provide equitable, comprehensive, and effective mental health and suicide prevention services, we must accomplish the following:
- Address the inequities in the delivery of mental health and suicide prevention services that have been highlighted as a result of the pandemic, particularly to populations disproportionately impacted by COVID-19: Black Americans, Latinx Americans, American Indians, Alaskan Natives, and LGBTQ Americans
- Focus on the systemic and structural racism in the institutions that are social determinants of health outcomes
- Use data to transform and refine systems, professions, providers, and payers to ensure high-quality care for all Americans
Advancing Priority 5
The National Response is exploring ways to expand research and education services through both formal and nontraditional approaches to care for Black Americans, Latinx Americans, American Indians, Alaskan Natives, and LGBTQ communities.
In addition, the National Response is looking to prioritize the support of increased services and resources for LGBTQ Americans (especially youth), including gender and sexual identity on national surveys. We will call on medical and education associations to integrate mental health cultural competency training for practitioners.
Finally, this priority focuses on expanding major resource centers and registries with evidenced-based best practices on culturally diverse populations that can be replicated by others.
Priority 5 Work Group
Priority 5 is one of six strategic imperatives the National Response has identified to help transform mental health and suicide prevention nationwide in the wake of the pandemic and beyond.
The co-leaders of the multi-sector Priority 5 Work Group are:
- Dr. Nyaka NiiLampti, Vice President, Wellness and Clinical Services, National Football League
- Mr. Amit Paley, Chief Executive Officer and Executive Director, The Trevor Project
Please visit this page often for progress updates and for information on how you can get involved.